Former residents of 12 Schedule 1 provincially-run facilities and institutions who were part of a class-action settlement are being urged to request their files by the end of next month.
Thousands of people are part of a $36 million class-action settlement that was approved on April 25th, 2016.
The class-action lawsuit that was initiated by Sharon Clegg, Litigation Guardian for Micki McIntyre, alleged that the province was negligent in the management and operation of the institutions, resulting in systemic abuse and harm to the former residents.
People who make file requests by September 27th, 2016 are guaranteed to receive them prior to the claim deadline of February 28th, 2017, according to Jody Brown, a lawyer with Koskie Minsky, the law firm that represented former residents.
ARCH Disability Law Centre or other legal clinics can assist people with their file requests. The Centre can be reached at 1-866-482-2724.
In addition, ARCH continues to host a number of in-person appointments across the province to assist with the claims process. Click here for the dates and locations nearest you. A webinar has also been recorded and can be accessed by clicking here.
The claims process is open to people who were alive as of June 16th, 2012 and lived at one or more of the following Schedule 1 institutions:
- Adult Occupational Centre (Edgar), between January 1st, 1966 and March 31st, 1999
- Bluewater Centre (Goderich), between April 1st, 1976 and December 20th, 1983
- D’Arcy Place (Cobourg), between September 1st, 1963 and December 31st, 1996
- Durham Centre for the Developmentally Handicapped(Whitby), between April 1st, 1974 and September 28th, 1986
- L.S. Penrose Centre (Kingston), between April 1st, 1974 and March 31st, 1977
- Midwestern Regional Centre (Palmerston), between September 1st, 1963 and March 31st, 1998
- Muskoka Centre (Gravenhurst), between August 28th, 1973 and June 30th, 1993
- Northwestern Regional Centre (Thunder Bay), between April 1st, 1974 and March 31st, 1994
- MR Unit, Oxford Mental Health Centre (Woodstock), between January 1st, 1969 and March 31st, 1974
- Oxford Regional Centre (Woodstock), between April 1st, 1974 and March 31st, 1996
- Pine Ridge Centre (Aurora), between September 1st, 1963 and August 31st, 1984
- Prince Edward Heights (Picton), between January 1st, 1971 and December 31st, 1999
- St. Lawrence Regional Centre (Brockville), between April 1st, 1975 and June 30th, 1983
Read the Toronto Star article here.